Newstart Allowance

Confirm your relationship status - single parents

From 1 January 2018, if you’re single parent on Newstart Allowance with dependent children, we’ll write to you to confirm your relationship status.

We will send a letter between January 2018 and November 2021, asking you to complete a form.

It will help us to know if you’re getting the right payment amount. An independent person – who we call a referee – needs to confirm your current relationship status by completing the form with you.

You can read more about how we assess your relationship status.

What you need to do

When you get the letter in the mail or in your myGov inbox you need to:

  1. Download the Verification of Relationship Status form.
  2. Ask a referee to confirm your current relationship status by completing the form with you.

When you have completed the form, return it within 28 days. You can return the form either:

Department of Human Services
Reply Paid 7802
ACT 2610

Who can be a referee

A referee is an independent person who can confirm your current relationship status. They must be over 18 and can’t be an immediate family member. Start to think about who you may ask to be your referee.

If you can’t ask a referee to complete the form because you haven’t told anyone about your relationship contact us as soon as possible. We can discuss your options with you.

If your referee provides a false declaration, they may face penalties of up to 12 months in prison.

How to update your relationship status now

You can tell us if you have a partner before we ask you to confirm your relationship status. You must tell us if there are changes to your relationship as it may affect your payment. Read how you can tell us about your relationship.

You can report other changes to your circumstances easily by:

It’s important to tell us if your situation changes to avoid a debt.

Page last updated: 14 November 2017