Complete the following steps to claim Newstart Allowance. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Newstart Allowance
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online, you can either:
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Make a claim, then Make a claim.
- Under Looking for work, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes:
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- an estimated completion date
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We’ll also tell you the date you need to report. You won't get your first payment until you make your first report. We'll send a letter to your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.