Newstart Allowance

Supporting documents

When you apply, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your Newstart Allowance claim.

When to provide documents

You’ll have 14 days from starting your claim to provide any documents we ask for.

On your Next steps page, the required list shows documents you need to provide before you submit your claim.

Other documents may be listed as supplementary. We ask that you give supplementary documents to us at the same time as your required documents, however you have up to14 days after you submit your claim to give them to us.

We may then ask you for further information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances.

How to submit documents

You can upload documents using the Upload Document service in your Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. You can also send them by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

If you've confirmed your identity at a service centre, you can then submit other identity documents online.

What are the common documents

These are the documents we usually ask you for:

  • proof of your identity - you need to provide at least 3 documents to confirm your identity, such as an Australian birth certificate, driver licence and electricity bill
  • employment termination - an employment separation certificate from everyone you’ve finished working for in the last 12 months
  • bank details - bank balances for you and your partner’s accounts
  • income evidence - proof of any income you and your partner have, such as your last payslips

As you fill in your Newstart claim, you will be told what documents you need to provide.

What other documents you may need

We may need some of these documents as further evidence, depending on your circumstances:

  • documents that prove who you are, your age, residency, income and assets
  • forms completed by your partner
  • evidence of how you’ve supported yourself for the last 3 months
  • verification of attainment of Year 12 or equivalent, Certificate III or higher qualification
  • Tax File Numbers for you, your partner or your parents
  • Income Tax Returns, if self-employed or Taxation Notices of Assessment (NOA)
  • bank account details:
    • BSB code or branch details
    • account name and account numbers
    • proof of bank balances
  • investments including managed investments, shares, life insurance, income streams, superannuation pensions
  • verification of rent details
  • insurance agreement where compensation is payable

Page last updated: 12 May 2018