Newstart Allowance

Verify your relationship status - single parents

If you’re a single parent on Parenting Payment or Newstart Allowance with dependent children, we’ll write to you and ask you to verify your relationship status.

Why we’re asking you to verify details

We’ll write to you between January 2018 and November 2021 and ask you to complete a form. This helps check you’re getting the right payment amount.

An independent person – who we call a referee – needs to verify your current relationship status by completing the form with you.

Read more about how we assess your relationship status.

What you need to do

When you get the letter in the mail or in your myGov Inbox you need to:

  1. Download the Verification of Relationship Status form.
  2. Ask a referee to verify your current relationship status by completing the form with you.

Once you’ve completed the form, return it within 28 days. You can return the form:

Department of Human Services
Reply Paid 7802
Canberra ACT 2610

Who can be a referee

A referee is an independent person who can verify your current relationship status. They must be over 18 and can’t be an immediate family member. If they provide a false declaration, they may face penalties of up to 12 months in prison.

If you can’t ask a referee to complete the form because you haven’t told anyone about your relationship, contact us as soon as possible to discuss your options.

How to update your relationship status now

If you’re no longer single you must tell us you have a partner as it may affect your payment. To do this you need to use a separate form. Read how you can tell us about your relationship outside of the above review process.

You can report other changes to your circumstances by:

It’s important you tell us if your situation changes so you don’t get a debt.

Page last updated: 22 August 2018