There are things you need to do while you’re getting Newstart, including looking for work.
You'll need to:
- report your income for the past 14 days every 2 weeks
- keep your commitments by doing the things you agreed to in your Job Plan
- tell us about any changes to your circumstances
- tell us if you’re going overseas
Report your income
Every 2 weeks you need to tell us what you and your partner earned in the last 14 days.
You must report even if you didn’t earn anything.
We’ll tell you which dates you must report on.
You can report:
- through your online Centrelink account
- using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- by calling 133 276 (13 EARN)
- at a service centre
Read about how to report the right amount.
Working Credit lets you keep more of your income support payment and benefits while you're working.
Read more about Working Credit.
When you go on Newstart you make a Job Plan with us or your employment services provider.
Your Job Plan sets out the things you agree to do to give you the best chance of getting a job. This could be applying for jobs, training or studying.
When you report your income every 2 weeks you also confirm you’re doing what your Job Plan says.
Your employment services provider will tell us if you haven’t done what your Job Plan says.
If you don’t do these things
If you don’t report every 2 weeks your payment will stop.
If you report late, your payment will be late.
If you don’t do the things in your Job Plan we can reduce or stop your payments.
You may even end up with a debt you will need to repay.