When you get your first Newstart payment will depend on your circumstances.
We’ll give you more information during your phone appointment with us.
When your payments will start
The sooner you submit your claim, the sooner we’ll be able to start your payments.
Check your Centrelink online account. It will tell you:
- when we’ve accepted your claim
- when your payments can start, and
- when your first report is due
You’ll need to start reporting before we can make your first payment.
You can expect to hear from us within 21 days of lodging your claim.
Why you may need to wait longer for your payment
There are several reasons why you may wait more than 21 days for your first payment. For example you’ll wait longer if you:
- recently became a resident of Australia
- were made redundant
- have savings or other money
- left your last job voluntarily
- left your last job because of misconduct