Travel outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Parental Leave Pay.

There are rules about whether your Parental Leave Pay can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Parental Leave Pay outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your Parental Leave Pay will stop.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you will continue to receive Parental Leave Pay. This is if you are either:

This is so long as you remain qualified and your absence does not exceed 56 weeks.

You may be paid outside Australia for a negotiated period of up to 6 weeks. This is if you hold one of the following visas:

  • a Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • a Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790
  • a Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 granted on or after 16 December 2014.

for the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for humanitarian reasons, for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to receive eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia.

If you leave Australia without an approved reason, your payment will stop when you leave and cannot restart.

Most temporary protection type visa holders cannot be paid Parental Leave Pay outside Australia for any reason.

If you leave Australia and your Parental Leave Pay stops even for 1 day, it cannot be restarted when you return to Australia.

You may be eligible for an extension of your Parental Leave Pay for up to 3 years. This is if you’re a member of one of the following:

  • the Australian Defence Force deployed overseas
  • the Australian Federal Police engaged in peacekeeping or capacity building activities overseas.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you are leaving Australia for all of the following reasons:

Otherwise you do not need to tell us that you are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019