Complete the following steps to claim Parenting Payment. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Parenting Payment
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online. You can’t submit a claim for Parenting Payment before the birth of your child. Read more about when to claim.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online:
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Make a claim, then Start a new claim.
- Under Families, select Get started then Apply for Parenting Payment.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents and any other forms you need to complete.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- an estimated completion date
- a link to track its progress
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
In this section
When to claim
You can’t submit a claim for Parenting Payment before the birth of a child.
Setting up online accounts
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
Confirm your identity
You may need to confirm your identity when you claim a payment or service.
When you claim, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for a payment or service.
Other forms you may need to complete
When you make your claim for Parenting Payment, we may ask you to give us more information.
Reviews and appeals
If you don't agree with a decision we've made, you have the right to ask for a review of that decision.