Parenting Payment


Check if you meet all the rules before you start your claim. You can claim Parenting Payment after the birth of your child.


  • find out what you need before you start your claim
  • fill in your claim form
  • submit the form and other documents we ask for
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result

You can’t submit a claim for Parenting Payment before the birth of your child.

We can pay you from your child’s birth date or the date you became the child’s principal carer.

This can be done if you submit a claim within 4 weeks of those dates.

Before you start

You should:

Information you need for your claim

You need to give us:

  • original documents to confirm your identity
  • your and your partner’s income and assets details
  • your bank account name, number and BSB number
  • your and your partner’s tax file number

Start your claim

The easiest way to claim is online. You don’t need to finish your online claim all at once. You can save your answers and finish it later. You need to finish it within 14 days.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment before, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or on your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

Go to a service centre with photo ID if you:

  • don’t know your CRN, or
  • haven't got a payment before

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

If you can't claim online

If you can’t claim online:

Submit your claim

You need to submit:

  • your claim
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this online, by post or at a service centre.

If you're claiming online and have a partner, you’ll need to submit the Partner Details – Parenting Payment Partnered form.

Submit other documents

We may ask you for documents to help us assess your claim. If we do, you may need to provide these to us before you can submit your claim.

You can provide some documents we ask for after you submit your claim. You must do this within 14 days of submitting your claim.

We can’t process your claim if you don't give us all of the documents we ask for.

We can pay you from your claim submission date if:

  • you provide all documents within 14 days of the submission date
  • you're eligible for Parenting Payment

Proof of identity

You or your partner may need to confirm your identity when you claim.

To confirm your identity you’ll need to visit a service centre and show your identity documents. Once you've done this, you can submit your remaining documents online using the upload documents service.

Track your claim

Once you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

  • your claim was submitted
  • the ID number of your claim
  • a link to track its progress, and
  • an estimated completion date - there are different waiting times that may apply 

You can track the progress of your claim using your:

  • Centrelink online account through myGov
  • Express Plus Centrelink mobile app

If you’re using your online account, the homepage will show the progress of your claim. Once it’s finalised, this page will show either approved or rejected. If you’re using the app select menu and then My claims.

We aim to complete claims by this date however, in busy periods, it may take a little longer.

If your circumstances change after you submit your claim, let us know. You can:

Check your myGov Inbox

We’ll let you know the result of your claim through your myGov Inbox.

This might include:

  • if your claim is successful
  • when your payment starts
  • how much you'll get

If we need more details, we'll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

If you think we’ve made a mistake, you can ask us to review our decision

Page last updated: 14 July 2018