Parenting Payment

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes to your or your partner’s situation. If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may get a debt you’ll have to pay back.

What to tell us

You need to tell us as soon as:

  • your child stops living with you
  • another child comes into your care
  • your relationship status changes
  • you're getting child support payments and the amount changes
  • you change your address.

You also need to tell us as soon as:

  • you or your partner get more or less money in a fortnight
  • you don’t have to lodge a tax return
  • your care arrangements change
  • your work or study load changes.
You need to tell us within 14 days of the change or before your next payment. This will stop you or your partner getting a debt.

There are other changes of circumstances you need to tell us about.

How and when to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.

You need to:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov.

Tell us you have a partner using the Parenting Payment – Change of relationship status – Becoming partnered form. Do this if all of the following apply, you:

  • get the single rate of Parenting Payment
  • live in a remote area
  • are unable to access self service options.

It's never too late to report a change.

What happens if you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes to your circumstances, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read how to avoid fraud.

This information was printed Monday 27 May 2019 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.

Page last updated: 8 November 2018