A support service for parents with children under 6 who get Parenting Payment. It will help you with your study and work goals.
What you need to know
ParentsNext helps parents with children under 6, to plan and prepare for future study or employment.
If you’re eligible, we’ll connect you with a ParentsNext provider who’ll:
- help you set study and work goals
- set a participation plan with you
- meet with you regularly
- help you access services in the local community
You don’t have to look for work right now. However it’s important to think about your study and work goals for when your children are school aged.
If you need to take part in ParentsNext, you’ll also have to report fortnightly. This is to confirm you’re meeting your requirements to get Parenting Payment. We’ll tell you which day you need to report.
ParentsNext has 2 streams:
- Intensive Stream, and
- Targeted Stream
Your stream depends on where you live. Each stream has different eligibility criteria. But parents in both streams get help to set and achieve their study and employment goals.
Read about the stream that’s rolling out in your area on the Department of Jobs and Small Business website.
Who needs to take part
You may have to take part in ParentsNext if you meet all of these conditions. You:
- get Parenting Payment and have for more than 6 months in a row
- haven’t told us about earnings in the past 6 months
- have a youngest child under 6
- live in a Targeted or Intensive Stream location, and
- aren’t taking part in Disability Employment Services, Australian Disability Enterprises or jobactive Stream C servicing
You won’t need to take part if you live in a remote area serviced by the Community Development Programme. Read more about the Community Development Programme on the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet website.
We’ll let you know if you have to take part and we’ll connect you with a local ParentsNext provider.
What happens if you don’t take part
Your payments may stop if you don’t take part in ParentsNext when you should and don’t have a valid reason. This can include:
- missing appointments
- not signing a participation plan
- not taking part in set activities
How to volunteer
You can access ParentsNext as a voluntary participant if you:
- get Parenting Payment
- don’t have to take part but would like help with study or work goals
- live in an Intensive Stream location, and
- have a child younger than 6
What other help is available
You can get more information about ParentsNext on the Department of Jobs and Small Business website.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt. Read about managing your money.