Partner Allowance

An old payment for non-working partners of people on income support that’s closed to new claims.

New grants of Partner Allowance stopped on 20 September 2003. If you already get Partner Allowance, you must continue to meet the income and assets test.

Eligibility & payment rates


There are several things that determine if you can still get Partner Allowance.

Read more about eligibility for Partner Allowance

Income test

Your income can reduce how much we pay you.

Read more about the income test


Property or items that you or your partner own in full or part, or have an interest in, can affect your payment.

Read more about assets

Payment rates

From 20 March 2018, the highest rate of Partner Allowance you can get is $492.80 a fortnight.

Read more about how much Partner Allowance you can get

Managing your payment

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Partner Allowance.

Read more about change of circumstances

While travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Partner Allowance.

Read more about Partner Allowance while travelling outside Australia

Weekly payment option

Some people can get income support payments each week instead of each fortnight.

Read more about weekly payments

Income reporting

How much you or your partner earn affects your payment. We need to know what you and your partner earn so we pay you the right amount.

Read more about income reporting for your main income support payment

When you reach age pension age

If you’re getting Partner Allowance and reach age pension age, you can transfer to Age Pension.

Read more about Partner Allowance when you reach age pension age

My bank account is overdrawn

You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.

Read more about what to do if your account is overdrawn


Improve your skills for education and employment

The Skills for Education and Employment program may help you improve your speaking, reading, writing or maths.

Read about Skills for Education and Employment

Payment and Service Finder

Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.

Start using Payment and Service Finder

Manage your money


We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read about how to manage your money

Regular deductions using Centrepay

You can use our free and voluntary service to pay bills as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments.

Read more about how Centrepay works

Page last updated: 6 March 2018