While travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Partner Allowance.

Rules for Partner Allowance outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your Partner Allowance payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you can continue being paid for the first 6 weeks overseas.

If you’re studying outside Australia as part of an approved full time Australian course, you may be eligible to be paid for more than 6 weeks.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you're leaving Australia and you:

  • are going to live in another country, or
  • are leaving Australia for more than 6 weeks

Otherwise you do not need to tell us that you’re leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will tell us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 30 January 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.