You must meet certain criteria to get the Pension Bonus Bereavement Payment.
You can get the Pension Bonus Bereavement Payment if your partner:
- died on or after 1 January 2008
- was a Pension Bonus Scheme member for at least 12 months
- didn’t successfully claim Age Pension and Pension Bonus before passing away
- didn’t get any income support payment other than Carer Payment, or Carer Service Pension since first qualifying for Age Pension
- passed the work test rules for at least 12 months from the date their membership started
You must also:
- meet residence rules
- have income and assets below the limits
- submit your claim within 26 weeks of your partner's death, unless you get an extension
If you get the Pension Bonus Bereavement Payment, you’re a registered member of the scheme and you’re working, you can still claim Age Pension and your own bonus.
If you relied on your partner's work to pass the work test, you’ll need to:
- claim your bonus within 26 weeks of your partner’s death, or
- start work
The Pension Bonus Scheme is now closed. If your partner was a member, you may still claim and get a Pension Bonus Bereavement Payment.