How to apply
Check if you're eligible before you start your claim. You can claim a top-up of your pension as a loan if you own real estate in Australia.
1. Get ready to apply
The easiest way to apply is online.
To apply online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
If you’re under Age Pension age, to apply for PLS you’ll need to either:
- already be on an eligible pension
- lodge a claim for an eligible pension.
You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your application. If you’re partnered then your partner may also need to confirm their identity before you’ll be able to lodge your application.
If you can’t apply online:
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Seniors select Get started.
- Select Apply for a loan under the Pension Loans Scheme.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the application. This includes how to submit your supporting documents and any other forms you need to complete.
- Submit your application.
When you're ready:
3. Track your application
After you submit your application online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your application was submitted
- the ID number of your application
- the date we estimate your application will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your application. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
Page last updated: 27 June 2019