While travelling outside Australia

There are rules about how long your Pension Supplement can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

If you live overseas or travel outside Australia there may be changes that can affect your Pension Supplement. Read more about Updates - Stopping the Pension Supplement (2016-17 Budget) on the Department of Social Services website.

You will continue to receive Pension Supplement outside Australia for as long as you continue to receive your main payment such as Age Pension, Disability Support Pension or Carer Payment. Your rate of Pension Supplement generally will not change if you travel outside Australia temporarily for less than 6 weeks.

If you are eligible to be paid for longer than 6 weeks, your Pension Supplement will reduce to the Pension Supplement Basic Amount:

  • after 6 weeks, if you are leaving temporarily, or
  • on departure from Australia, if you are leaving to live in another country

Read more about pension rates payable if you are living outside Australia or absent from Australia for longer than 6 weeks.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019