Pensioner Concession Card

A concession card to get cheaper and some discounts if you get certain payments from us.

Eligibility basics

  • you get a payment from us that has this card as an add on

Sample card

Eligibility & payment rates


You can get a card if you get:

Your Parenting Payment single ends when your youngest child turns 8. You can keep your card for 12 weeks after your Parenting Payment ends.

You don’t need to apply for a Pensioner Concession Card. We'll send you one if you are eligible.

What may be different

If you are 60 years of age or older you can get a card if for more than 9 months you have been getting:

You may also get a card if you have a partial capacity to work and you are getting:

If you find a job, you may be able to keep your card for a short time.

Pensioner Concession Card for non-pensioners - 9 October 2017

We may have cancelled your pension payment on 1 January 2017 because of changes to the pension assets test. If we sent you a non-income tested Low Income Health Care Card, you will regain entitlement to a Pensioner Concession Card on 9 October 2017.

You can use this card in the same way as you did before your pension payment was cancelled.

Your Pensioner Concession Card will be sent to you from 9 October 2017. You can continue to use your non-income tested Low Income Health Care Card until your Pensioner Concession Card arrives in the mail.


With your card you can get:

Your dependent child may be able to get some of these.

Other benefits

Your state or territory government and local council may offer you more. They may lower your:

  • electricity and gas bills
  • property and water rates
  • public transport fare
  • motor vehicle registration
  • train fare

Read more about what you can get where you live on the website.


Renewing a card

As long as you’re eligible, we'll send you a new card 4 to 6 weeks before the expiry date on your current card. The card is valid for 2 years.

Digital Wallet

Have your concession or health care card with you everywhere you take your phone.

Read more about the Digital Wallet

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could stop you from having a card.

If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

You must tell us if:

  • you marry or start or stop living with your partner
  • you start or stop being the main carer of a child
  • your home address changes
  • your income changes
  • your assets change
  • your partner’s income or assets change
  • you don’t have to lodge a tax return
  • your work or study load changes
  • you are leaving Australia
  • anything else happens that might change your payment

How and when to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.

You need to:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov

It’s never too late to report a change.

We will cancel you card if you stop getting a Centrelink payment. However, you may be able to keep your card for a short time after you return to work.

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.

Lost or stolen card

We can replace a lost or stolen card and post you a new card.

We can’t issue a replacement over the counter.

Request a replacement card:

While travelling outside Australia

There are limits on how long your card remains current when you travel outside Australia.

Read more about Health Care Card and Pensioner Concession Card


Other concession and health care cards

Concession and health care cards can help you access cheaper health care services and medicines.

Payment and Service Finder

Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.

Start using Payment and Service Finder

Manage your money


We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read about how to manage your money.

Green Army Programme

Provides training and work experience in environment and heritage conservation for young Australians while generating environmental benefits.

Read more about the Green Army Programme

Page last updated: 27 August 2017