Pensioner Education Supplement


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. You can claim the Pensioner Education Supplement if you study an approved secondary or tertiary course.

If you contact us to claim this payment between 17 - 30 June 2018, complete your claim within 14 days. Read more about intent to claim stopping 1 July 2018.


  • find out what you need
  • fill in your claim form
  • submit the form and other documents we ask for
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result

Before you start

Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim.

Intent to claim

Tell us about your intent to claim a payment before you start the claim process. You can do this before your course starts.

If you register an intent to claim, we’ll backdate your payment to the earliest date you:

  • submit this form
  • start your course, or
  • become eligible

Information you need for your claim

You’ll need:

Start your claim

Download and complete the form for your situation:

If you don’t have access to a printer

Go to a service centre and ask for the form you need. Or call the students and trainees line and ask us to send you the form.

Submit your claim

You need to give us your:

  • claim form
  • bank details
  • identity documents
  • details of your study arrangements
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this by post or at a service centre.

If you can’t provide the documents we ask for now, submit the claim and give us the documents when you can.

Submit other documents

If we ask you to confirm your identity, you’ll need to do this at a service centre within 14 days.

Wait for the results

We’ll tell you:

  • if we accept your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you
  • how much you’ll get

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read about reviews and appeals.

Contact us within 13 weeks if you’d like to appeal.

If you’re approved on appeal, we’ll backdate your payment to the date of your original claim.

Page last updated: 18 June 2018