You may not have to serve a Newly Arrived Resident’s Waiting Period to get some payments or concessions based on your circumstances or the visa you hold.
New residents may have to wait 104 weeks before they can get most of our payments or use our services. This doesn’t apply to family assistance payments.
Read more about Newly arrived resident’s waiting period.
Newstart Allowance, Youth Allowance for job seeker, Farm Household Allowance
You may not have to wait if you become a lone parent principal carer since arriving in Australia as an Australian resident.
Newstart Allowance, Youth Allowance for job seeker, Sickness Allowance
You may not have to wait if you’re a non-protected Special Category Visa 444 subclass holder who has resided in Australia for a continuous period of 10 years without a break since 26 February 2001, you may be able to get these payments for 6 months. This can only happen once.
Low Income Health Care Card
You may not have to wait if you:
- have a Family Tax Benefit child in your care, or
- are a child under 16 who is living with either an Australian resident or Special Category Visa Subclass 444 holder residing in Australia.
You may not have to wait to get Mobility Allowance if you became handicapped while in Australia.
Special Benefit, Ex-Carer Allowance Health Card and Low Income Health Care Card
You may not have to wait if you’ve had a substantial change in circumstance since arriving in Australia as a resident.
Visas exempt from the waiting period
Check to see if your visa subclass allows you to get some payments and concession cards without the Newly Arrived Resident’s Waiting Period.
Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, Low Income Health Care Card and all payments except Special Benefit
- subclass 852 - referred stay (permanent)
- subclass 104 - preferential family, only if you're a carer or a special needs relative
- subclass 116 - carer
- subclass 806 - family, only if you're a carer or a special needs relative
- subclass 836 - carer
Special Benefit and Low Income Health Care Card
- subclass 060 - bridging visa F
- subclass 070 - bridging (removal pending)
- subclass 449 - humanitarian stay (temporary)
- subclass 785 - temporary protection
- subclass 786 - temporary (humanitarian concern)
- subclass 790 - safe haven enterprise
If you hold a partner (provisional) visa - subclass 309 or 820, you may be eligible for Special Benefit or the Low Income Health Care Card. But, you may need to serve a waiting period after you apply for your visa.