Who can get it

You can get the supplement if you meet study rules and get certain payments from us or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Payments from us

You may be eligible if you meet the study rules and get:

You may keep getting Pensioner Education Supplement or ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement in some cases if you are in the same course and transfer to:

Payments from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs

You may be eligible if you meet the study rules and get one of these payments:

You can also get the supplement if you have a dependent child and get:

Study rules

You meet these rules if you’re studying an approved course as a full time or part time student.

Type of course

You’re eligible if studying either:

  • a secondary course
  • an undergraduate course
  • a graduate course
  • certain masters courses
  • a TAFE course
  • a diploma.

Read about approved courses and institutions.

Full time or part time

You must be studying as a full time student or part time student.

If you’re a part time student, you must meet one of the following:

  • be a single parent with a dependent child under 16
  • get Carer Payment
  • get a Department of Veteran’s Affairs Partner Service Pension and Carer Allowance
  • have a disability, illness or injury that affects your ability to study full time
  • get Youth Allowance or Newstart Allowance.

Part time study is at least 25% of a full time study load.

Page last updated: 4 September 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.