To get the Relocation Scholarship you must be eligible for it.
Who can get it
To get the Relocation Scholarship you must meet some rules.
You must be either:
You must also meet the study rules.
Your place of study
You must do one of the following:
- move to or from a regional or remote area in Australia to study
- do approved study overseas for your Australian course
- do an approved regional placement.
Don’t forget to tell us if you move, so we can update your details.
You must get at least $1 of any of these payments:
Who can't get it
You can’t get this payment if any of the following apply:
- you don’t get Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY Living Allowance or Energy Supplement
- your family home and your place of study are both in a major city when you start studying
- you’re eligible for an Indigenous Student Success Program scholarship from the Department of Education and Training
- you get a Relocation Scholarship from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
You also can’t get it if you live on campus and get ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option. This applies unless you got the offer to live on campus after we paid your scholarship.
How to get it
You don’t need to apply for the Relocation Scholarship unless you’re doing a regional placement. You may still need to fill out a form, or tell us about changes to your situation.
Your course is at a regional campus
If you’re moving from a city to a regional area to study, we’ll check if you’re eligible for Relocation Scholarship. We’ll do this at the following times:
- each year while you’re getting Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY Living Allowance or Energy Supplement
- after you apply for Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY
- after you tell us about changes to your address or study details.
If you’re eligible, we’ll send you a letter. If you get a letter from us, you’ll need to do all of the following:
- fill in the student part of the Verification of Campus form
- get your course provider to fill in the campus details part of the form and sign it
- submit the form and any requested documents to us.
If you don’t get a letter from us, you’re not eligible. You may be eligible later if your situation, study or payment details change. You must tell us about any changes.
Your family home is in a regional or remote area, or overseas
If your family home is in a regional or remote area, or overseas, you don’t need to complete the form. Read more about your family home for Relocation Scholarship.
You’re doing approved overseas study
To get Relocation Scholarship overseas, we must approve your overseas study location. We’ll check this when you talk to us about your overseas study.
To get a Relocation Scholarship as an independent student you must have a special reason.
Where your family home is determines if you can get a Relocation Scholarship and your payment rate in your second and third years of study.
Most people won’t qualify for a Relocation Scholarship after they turn 22.
Page last updated: 24 May 2019