Remote Area Allowance

Who can get it

There are 2 ways to get Remote Area Allowance.

Ways to get it

Option 1

You can get it if you:

Option 2

You can get it if you:

  • moved to a remote area, and
  • will stay longer than 12 months

How we know you live in a remote area

Tax zones define remote areas. The Tax Office determines tax zones. The Australian zone list on the Australian Taxation website will tell you if you live in a remote area. These include:

Who can’t get it

You can't get it if you:


You can get this allowance for 8 weeks from the date you leave your usual home if you:

The 8 week limit doesn’t apply to ABSTUDY secondary school students.

How to get it

You don’t need to claim this allowance.

We’ll check if you can get it when you:

  • get your income support payment, or
  • move to an eligible tax zone

If you can get it, we’ll tell you:

  • when your payment starts, and
  • how much you get
This information was printed Sunday 19 May 2019 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.

Page last updated: 13 May 2019