Remote Area Allowance

Change of circumstances

We need to know changes that could reduce or stop your payment.

If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

You need to tell us if you:

  • change address, or
  • leave Australia

There are other changes of circumstances you need to tell us about.

How and when to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.

You need to:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov

It’s never too late to report a change.

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, you could be committing fraud.

Read how to avoid committing fraud.

Page last updated: 13 July 2018