Rent Assistance

A regular extra payment if you pay rent and get certain payments from us.

You may have received a letter from us asking you to confirm or update your rent details. Read more about confirming or updating your rent details.

Eligibility & payment rates

Who can get it

You can get Rent Assistance if you get a payment from us, more than the base rate of Family Tax benefit and pay rent.

Read more about who can get it

How much you can get

The amount of Rent Assistance you can get depends on how much rent you pay.

Read more about how much you can get


You don’t need to submit a claim for Rent Assistance. We'll check if you're eligible when you claim another payment or move. We may ask you for documents.


Managing your payment

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Rent Assistance.

Read more about change of circumstances


We may review your rent details to check they're up to date.

Read more about reviews

While travelling outside Australia

There are rules for when Rent Assistance can be paid when you are outside Australia

Read more about Rent Assistance while travelling outside Australia

My bank account is overdrawn

You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.

Read more about what to do if your account is overdrawn


Manage your money


We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read about how to manage your money

Page last updated: 21 December 2017