You can get Rent Assistance if you get certain payments from us and pay rent.
Who can get it
You can get Rent Assistance if you pay rent and you're:
- getting certain payments from us, or
- getting more than the base rate of Family Tax Benefit
You must also pay:
- fees in a retirement village
- board and lodging, or
- site or mooring fees if your main home is a caravan, relocatable home or a boat
You must pay more than a certain amount of rent each fortnight. How much Rent Assistance you can get depends on how much rent you pay.
If you're living in a retirement village
We assess you for Rent Assistance in a different way. We use the amount you paid when you entered the retirement village to work out if you can get Rent Assistance.
If you’re under 25
The rules to get Rent Assistance depend on:
- your payment type, and
- if you live with a parent
Please call us on your main payment number for more information.
Who can’t get it
You won’t get Rent Assistance if:
- you're leasing from a state or territory housing authority
- you own or are buying the home you live in, except relocatable homes
- you’re travelling away from the home you own for less than 12 months
- the Australian Government pays a subsidy to the approved residential aged care facility where you live
- your partner gets Rent Assistance with Family Tax Benefit, or
- you get an allowance and your partner gets Rent Assistance with their pension