Rent Assistance

Who can get it

You can get Rent Assistance if you get certain payments from us and pay rent.

Who can get it

You can get Rent Assistance if you pay rent and you're:

  • getting certain payments from us, or
  • getting more than the base rate of Family Tax Benefit

You must also pay:

  • rent
  • fees in a retirement village
  • lodging
  • board and lodging, or
  • site or mooring fees if your main home is a caravan, relocatable home or a boat

You must pay more than a certain amount of rent each fortnight. How much Rent Assistance you can get depends on how much rent you pay.

If you're living in a retirement village

We assess you for Rent Assistance in a different way. We use the amount you paid when you ntered the retirement village to work out if you can get Rent Assistance.

If you’re under 25

The rules to get Rent Assistance depend on:

  • your payment type, and
  • if you live with a parent

Please call us on your main payment number for more information.

Who can’t get it

You won’t get Rent Assistance if:

  • you're leasing from a state or territory housing authority
  • you own or are buying the home you live in, except relocatable homes
  • you’re travelling away from the home you own for less than 12 months
  • the Australian Government pays a subsidy to the approved residential aged care facility where you live
  • your partner gets Rent Assistance with Family Tax Benefit, or
  • you get an allowance and your partner gets Rent Assistance with their pension
This information was printed Sunday 19 May 2019 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.

Page last updated: 13 May 2019