Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Rent Assistance.

If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

You must tell us if:

  • your rent costs change
  • you move house
  • your income changes
  • your marital status changes
  • the number of dependent children in your care changes
  • people move in or out of the house you live in

There are other changes of circumstances you need to tell us about.

Confirming your rent

We use a Rent Certificate to confirm your rent details. We will give you one if we need you to fill it out.

We may send you a Rent Certificate SU523 form. We will send it if you changed or updated your address with us in the last 7 days, and told us you are:

  • renting
  • lodging, or
  • paying site, mooring, maintenance, accommodation or service fees

Please submit your completed form and documents we ask you for online.

Community housing rent

Please ask your community housing organisation if they use the Electronic Verification of Rent (EVoR) scheme.

If they do you don’t need to tell us when your rent changes. They can help you fill out a consent form.

Read more about EVoR.

How to tell us about changes

The easiest way to tell us about changes is using our self service options.

You need to:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov

It’s never too late to report a change.

Not telling us about changes

If you don't tell us about changes in your life we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don't tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read how to avoid committing fraud.

Page last updated: 13 May 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.