While travelling outside Australia

There are rules for when Rent Assistance can be paid when you are outside Australia

Meeting rules for Rent Assistance outside Australia

You must continue to meet the eligibility requirements for your main payment.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you may continue to get Rent Assistance. Bear in mind, you must still be:

  • getting your main payment, and
  • paying rent in Australia
You need to tell us if you are leaving Australia. The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019