Who can get it

You can get Rent Assistance if you get certain payments from us and pay rent.

You can get Rent Assistance if you pay rent and you're either:

You must also pay 1 of the following:

  • rent
  • fees in a retirement village
  • lodging
  • board and lodging
  • site or mooring fees if your main home is a caravan, relocatable home or a boat.

You must pay more than a certain amount of rent each fortnight. How much Rent Assistance you can get depends on how much rent you pay.

If you're living in a retirement village

Using the amount you paid when you entered the retirement village we assess if you’re either, a:

  • home owner
  • non-home owner.

If you’re assessed as a non-home owner you may get Rent Assistance. We base the assistance on your ongoing fees in the retirement village.

Find out how we assess retirement villages as assets.

If you’re under 25

The rules to get Rent Assistance depend on both:

  • your payment type
  • if you live with a parent.

Please call us on your main payment number for more information.

Who can’t get it

You won’t get Rent Assistance if:

  • you're leasing from a state or territory housing authority
  • you own or are buying the home you live in, except relocatable homes
  • you’re travelling away from the home you own for less than 12 months
  • the Australian Government pays a subsidy to the approved residential aged care facility where you live
  • your partner gets Rent Assistance with Family Tax Benefit
  • you get an allowance and your partner gets Rent Assistance with their pension.

Page last updated: 4 November 2019