Sickness Allowance


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. You can claim Sickness Allowance if you can’t work or study for a short time.

If you contact us or start an online claim for this payment between 17 - 30 June 2018, complete your claim within 14 days. Read more about intent to claim stopping 1 July 2018.


  • find out what you need before you start
  • complete online claim
  • submit your claim and other documents we ask for
  • wait for us to tell you the result

Before you start

You should:

  • check if you’re eligible for Sickness Allowance
  • set up a Centrelink online account so you can claim online – if you already have an account and it’s still active you won’t need to start a new one
  • gather the information you need for your claim, including:
    • your tax file number
    • your bank account details, and
    • your and your partner’s income and asset details, and
    • a Centrelink medical certificate from your doctor

Start your claim

It’s best to start your claim online. Claiming online is secure, quick and easy.

You can save your online application to finish and submit within 14 days. If you take longer than 14 days, you may have to start the claim again.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID. Tell us you want to register for an online account.

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

If you can’t claim online

You can:

Submit your claim

You need to give us any supporting documents we ask for, including a Centrelink medical certificate from your doctor.

You can do this:

You may need to provide:

If we ask you to confirm your identity, you’ll need to do this at a service centre within 14 days. We may reject your claim if you don’t.

Wait for the result

We’ll tell you:

  • if we grant or reject your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you, and
  • how much you’ll get

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 18 June 2018