Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. You can claim Sickness Allowance if you can’t work or study for a short time.
- find out what you need before you start
- complete online claim
- submit your claim and other documents we ask for
- wait for us to tell you the result
Before you start
- check if you’re eligible for Sickness Allowance
- set up a Centrelink online account through myGov to claim online – if you already have one you won't need to do this again
- gather the information you need for your claim, including:
- your tax file number
- your bank account details
- your and your partner’s income and asset details, and
- a Centrelink medical certificate from your doctor
Start your claim
It’s best to start your claim online. Claiming online is secure, quick and easy.
You can save your online application to finish later. However you should submit your claim with all supporting documents. Do it as soon as you can so we can pay you from the earliest possible date.
Start your claim online
To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.
I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink
Sign in to myGov to start your claim.
I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink
Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.
I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account
If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.
You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.
If you can’t claim online
- call the people with disability line
- visit a service centre, or
- complete a Claim for Sickness Allowance form
Submit your claim
You need to give us any supporting documents we ask for, including a Centrelink medical certificate from your doctor.
You can do this:
- online once you’ve set up a Centrelink online account
- at a service centre
- by post to the address on the form
It’s important to submit a complete claim with all supporting documents. This allows us to assess your claim and pay you from the earliest possible date.
You may need to provide:
If we ask you to confirm your identity, you’ll need to do this at a service centre within 14 days. We may reject your claim if you don’t.
If you have an employer, ask them if they’ve submitted the Employment Verification form they were sent. We need this to assess your claim.
Check your myGov Inbox
We’ll let you know the result of your claim through your myGox Inbox.
This might include:
- if we grant or reject your claim
- when your payment starts, and
- how much you’ll get
You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.