While travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Sickness Allowance.

There are rules about how long your Sickness Allowance can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Sickness Allowance outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you need to be travelling for an approved reason or your payment will stop on departure.

If you have been granted Sickness Allowance under a residence exemption available to certain New Zealand citizens and your payment stops while you are outside Australia, you cannot be re-granted payment under this exemption on your return.

Approved reasons for payment overseas

Sickness Allowance may be paid outside Australia for a negotiated period of up to 6 weeks for the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • humanitarian reasons, for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings, or
  • to receive eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia

When to tell us about your travel

You should always tell us if you are leaving Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected. You may need to phone us to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 December 2018

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.