Sickness Allowance

Confirm or update your employment details

We regularly check your details to make sure you get the right payment amount.

What you need to do if we send you a letter

We’re sending letters to some people who get Sickness Allowance asking them to confirm or update their employment status. If we’ve sent you a letter, you’ll find it in your myGov Inbox or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

We’re sending these letters to check you’re on the right payment.

Call us on our dedicated phone line 1800 952 220 to confirm or update your details. You can call us Monday to Friday, 8.30 am and 5.00 pm, Australian Eastern Standard Time, call charges may apply.

What happens if you don’t confirm or update your details

You must confirm or update your employment details by the date in the letter. If you don’t we may suspend or cancel your payment.

What to do if you need more time

If you need more time, you can ask us for an extension. To request a 14 day extension please call the dedicated line 1800 952 220. You can only do this once.

What happens next

We use the information you give us to check you’re getting the right payment.

After we complete the check, we’ll tell you about the outcome. The outcome may be that:

  • your payment amount may change
  • your payment stays the same
  • you’re no longer eligible for the payment, so it may be suspended or cancelled
  • you need to pay back money

We’ll let you know the outcome. We’ll send a letter to your myGov Inbox or Centrelink Letters Online.

If you have a debt, the letter will explain:

  • why the debt occurred
  • how much it is
  • how to make repayments, or
  • how to ask us to review our decision

If you’re not eligible for Sickness Allowance, you may be eligible for a different payment. Use Payment and Service Finder to find other payments you may wish to apply for.

How to appeal our decision

You may not agree with the outcome of our check. You have the right to ask us to review our decision. You can do this by writing to us, calling or visiting a service centre.

Where to get help

If you have any questions about this letter, please call us on 1800 952 220.

If you’re no longer in a relationship, please phone us on your regular payment line.

Call our Centrelink Indigenous phone service if you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian.

To talk to us in your language, phone us to speak with one of our bilingual service officers.

Page last updated: 20 August 2018