Who can get it
To get Sickness Allowance you must meet certain criteria.
You can get Sickness Allowance if you're:
- 22 years or older, but under Age Pension age, and:
- have a job, or
- get Austudy or ABSTUDY as a full time student
You can’t get Sickness Allowance if you get another income support payment.
You must also:
- meet an income and assets test
- meet residency rules
- be temporarily unable to work or study because of a medical condition
- provide a Centrelink medical certificate from your doctor, and
- have work or study to return to when you’re better
You may need to serve a waiting period.
If you can’t get it
If you can’t get Sickness Allowance, check if you can get another payment using the Payment and Service Finder tool.
Page last updated: 5 April 2019