Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. If you get Family Tax Benefit, you don’t need to claim Single Income Family Supplement (SIFS).
If you’re eligible we’ll pay you after you and your partner have either:
- lodged a tax return
- told us you don’t need to lodge one.
If you don’t get Family Tax Benefit you may still be eligible for SIFS. You can submit a claim for SIFS after the end of the financial year.
Steps to claim Single Income Family Supplement
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online.
You’ll need to submit your claim and confirm your income within 12 months after the end of the financial year.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you're unable to claim online, please call the Families line.
2. Get your documents ready to claim
We may ask you for supporting documents to help us assess your claim.
You must submit supporting documents within 14 days.
We may reject your claim if you don't.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then select Claims.
- Select Make a claim.
- Under Families, select Get started.
- Select Apply for Family Assistance (including Paid Parental Leave).
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.