Special Benefit


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. You may be able to claim Special Benefit if you’re in severe hardship.

If you contact us to claim this payment between 17 - 30 June 2018, complete your claim within 14 days. Read more about intent to claim stopping 1 July 2018.


  • find out what you need before you start
  • fill in your claim form
  • submit the form and other documents we ask for
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result

Before you start

Check if you're eligible before you start your claim.

Intent to claim

An intent to claim lets us know you’re seeking payment before you start the claim process. This will help you get paid as soon as possible.

If you register an intent to claim, we may backdate your payment to the date you submit this form.

You must submit your claim at a service centre within 14 days of telling us of your intent to claim.

Start your claim

Download and complete a Claim for Special Benefit form.

If you don't have access to a printer

If you can’t print the form:

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim form
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this by post or at a service centre.

Submit other documents

We need other documents to support your claim. The table below shows what forms you may need to give us for your situation.

If you Complete this
earn an income or have assets Income and Assets form
have a partner Partner details form
get child support or maintenance Details of your child support form
pay rent where you live Rent Certificate
own your own home, property, or any other real estate Real estate details form
study, intend to study, or have stopped studying Study details form
are dependent on parents or guardians Parent or Guardian details for the Base tax year and Current tax year for dependent Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY customers form
have extra income and assets Income and Assets form
are involved in a private company Notes for Private Company form
are involved in a private trust Notes for Private Trust form
have separated from your partner since you last claimed a payment or service Separation details form
are unable to live at home Unreasonable to live at home form
have stopped work in the last 12 months Employment Separation Certificate form
have undertaken seasonal, contract or intermittent work in the last 6 months Seasonal, Contract and Intermittent Work Details form
are involved in a Special Disability Trust Special Disability Trust form
are over 18 and you can't live at home with your parents

Wait for the results

We’ll tell you:

  • if we accept your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you
  • how much you’ll get

We’ll review your claim every 3 months from when your payment starts.

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 18 June 2018