Special Disability Trusts

A way for families to plan for the long term care and accommodation needs of someone with a severe disability.

You need to know


If you have a Special Disability Trust you may get a gifting concession and assets test assessment exemption.

Read more about benefits


A Special Disability Trust must have only one principal beneficiary (the person for whom the trust is established) who meets the eligibility criteria.

Read more about characteristics

The principal beneficiary

To be eligible to be a principal beneficiary of a Special Disability Trust, the person with a disability must meet the definition of severe disability.

Read more about the principal beneficiary

Eligibility for the gifting concession

Immediate family members of the Special Disability Trust principal beneficiary who are of age or of service pension age and get a pension are eligible for the gifting concession.

Read more about eligibility for the gifting concession

Fund contributions

Contributions or gifts of assets to any value can be made to a Special Disability Trust at any time by almost anyone.

Read more about fund contributions

Gifting concessions

A gifting concession of up to $500,000 combined is available for eligible family members of the principal beneficiary.

This concessional amount can only be used once. For example, if an eligible contributor gifts to a Special Disability Trust and receives a concession and then dies, his or her concession amount cannot be accessed by any other immediate family member.

Using Special Disability Trust funds

The funds of a Special Disability Trust are intended to meet the reasonable care and accommodation needs of the principal beneficiary.

Read more about using Special Disability Trust funds

Tax concessions

A Special Disability Trust’s unexpected income is taxed at the beneficiary’s personal income tax rate, rather than at the highest marginal tax rate.


More information

Find out more about Special Disability Trusts.

Read more information

Payment and Service Finder

Select the options that describe your circumstances, then explore a list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.

Read more about Payment and Service Finder

Manage your money

We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read more Managing your money

Related payments and services

Page last updated: 20 April 2018