Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. You have up to 52 weeks starting on your baby’s date of birth to make a claim.
- find out what you need before you start your claim
- fill in the application form
- get any documents the form asks for
- submit your form and documents
- wait for us to assess your claim and let you know the result
Before you start
- check if you’re eligible for Stillborn Baby Payment
- find the information you need for your claim
- submit your claim within 52 weeks from your baby’s date of birth
Information you need for your claim
Make sure you have all of this information when claiming. You’ll need all the same details for your partner as well.
- your Centrelink Reference Number if you've dealt with us before
- your passport number if you have one
- the date you first arrived in Australia, if you weren’t born here
- any dates when you lived outside Australia
- your bank account details
- your tax file number
- details of the hospital where you had your baby
- your income
When to claim
You have up to 52 weeks to claim. This starts from your baby’s date of birth.
We may be able to give you more time if you need it because:
- you had a severe illness to do with the birth, or
- you applied for Parental Leave Pay but couldn’t receive it
Start your claim online
To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.
I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink
Sign in to myGov to start your claim.
I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink
Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.
I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account
If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.
You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.
Read more about Centrelink Customer Reference Numbers.
If you can't claim online
You’ll need to fill in a paper Claim for Bereavement Payment form.
The hospital or midwife may have given you this form already.
If you can't print the form:
The form will tell you which documents you need to give us. This may include:
- proof of your income
- a letter from the doctor or midwife who was at your baby’s birth, giving:
- your full name
- the date and place of birth
- the baby’s gender
- the baby’s weight
- the gestation period
- the Proof of Birth declaration on the back of the Claim for Bereavement Payment form – the doctor or midwife who was at the birth must complete this form
Submit your application
You need to give us:
- your application form
- any other forms or documents we’ve asked for
You can do this:
- online if you have a Centrelink online account
- at a service centre
- by post to the address on the form
You can submit your documents online.
Wait for the result
We’ll tell you in writing:
- if we accept your claim
- when we’ll start paying you
- how much you’ll receive
If we don’t agree
We’ll tell you in writing.
You have the right to appeal our decision. Read more about reviews and appeals.