While travelling outside Australia

There are rules for when Telephone Allowance can be paid when you are outside Australia.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If your main payment type cannot be paid outside Australia, you will not be paid Telephone Allowance while you are outside Australia.

Otherwise you will be paid Telephone Allowance if your payday is within the first 6 weeks of your absence and you continue to pay for a telephone or internet service.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 3 May 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.