Assistance for eligible New Zealand non-protected Special Category visa holders (subclass 444) adversely affected by Tropical Cyclone Debbie – March 2017.
You have until 19 January 2018 to submit a claim for the following Local Government Area:
The claiming period for all other Local Government Areas has now closed.
About the Ex-gratia Disaster Recovery Payment for New Zealanders
The Ex-gratia Disaster Recovery Payment for New Zealanders is a one off payment for people who have been significantly affected by a declared disaster. It is not for minor damage or inconvenience.
If you are eligible you will receive:
- $1,000 per adult
- $1,000 per dependent adult
- $400 for each child under 16 years of age
You can choose to get this payment in two instalments if you prefer.
You may be eligible to receive the Ex-gratia Disaster Recovery Payment for New Zealanders if you meet all the following criteria:
- you are 16 years or older at the time of Tropical Cyclone Debbie – March 2017
- you are a non-protected Special Category visa holder (sub-class 444) and a non-resident under the Social Security Act 1991; and
- you have participated in the Australian tax system for at least one year in the past 3 financial years or are currently engaged in income generating activities with a likelihood of paying tax in Australia on or before 31 March 2018
- you have experienced one or more of the following as a direct result of the cyclone:
- you have been seriously injured
- you are the immediate family member of an Australian citizen who died
- at least 25% of the interior of your principle place of residence has been affected by the cyclone
- at least 25% of the interior of your principle place of residence has been exposed to the elements
- your principle place of residence has been destroyed or must be demolished
- the interior of your principle place of residence has been affected by sewerage contamination
- your principle place of residence has been declared structurally unsound
- you are the principal carer of a dependent child who has experienced any of the above
You may need to provide evidence to support your claim.
For the purpose of this payment:
- your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or licence to normally reside. It does not include holiday homes or investment properties
- you are a principal carer of a child if the child is your dependent and has not turned 16. The principal carer must have legal responsibility for the day to day care, welfare and development of the child
Claims cannot be submitted on behalf of a person who has died or their estate. You may, however, be eligible to submit a claim in your own right if you are the immediate family member of a person who has died as a direct result of the Tropical Cyclone Debbie – March 2017.
It is your responsibility to decide if you wish to apply for this payment and to make the application, having regard to your particular circumstances.It is also your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide in your claim is true and correct.
If you have never been a Centrelink customer you may need to provide with your claim, one document showing Proof of Birth or Proof of Arrival in Australia, or any other approved documents that add up to the value of 50 points, for example, driver’s licence (40 points), bank card/statement (40 points), Medicare card (20 points).
If you cannot provide this immediately, you should submit a claim without delay and provide the supporting documents to us within 28 days. If you have difficulty obtaining this information, please contact us on 180 22 66.
You can make a claim by phone, in person, by post or fax.
- call us on 180 22 66
- to speak to us in languages other than English, call 131 202
In person, by post, or by fax:
- download the Tropical Cyclone Debbie - March 2017 - Ex-gratia Disaster Recovery Payment for New Zealanders claim form
- complete, sign and submit your claim by
- taking the form and supporting documents to your nearest service centre or Agent, or
- posting your claim form and supporting documents to:
Emergency Processing Centre
Reply Paid 7815
Canberra BC ACT 2610
- faxing your form and supporting documents to 1300 727 760. Please ensure your supporting documents are clearly identified with your name