Widow Allowance

A payment for widowed, divorced or separated women over a set age. New claims for this payment closed on 1 July 2018.

Eligibility basics

  • be a woman born on or before 1 July 1955
  • widowed, divorced or separated since turning 40
  • little or no recent workforce experience
New claims for Widow Allowance will be closed from 1 July 2018. Other payments are available. Read more about Widow Allowance claims closing.

Page last updated: 1 July 2018