To keep getting Widow Allowance you need to meet certain criteria.
From 1 July 2018, you can no longer make a new claim for Widow Allowance. You can claim another payment such as Newstart Allowance instead.
To get Widow Allowance you must:
- be a woman born on or before 1 July 1955
- not be part of a couple
- have become widowed, divorced or separated since turning 40
- meet income and assets tests
- meet residence rules
- not have worked 20 hours a week or more, for at least 13 weeks in total, in the 12 months before you claimed
You don’t have to look for work or do training if you:
- get Widow Allowance
- claim Newstart Allowance on or after 1 July 2018 and meet the above criteria
You can still get help to improve your job prospects, learn new skills, or do community work.