Widow Allowance

Residence rules

On the day you claim Widow Allowance you must be an Australian resident and in Australia.

On the day you claim Widow Allowance, you must be:

You also need to be either:

  • widowed, divorced or separated from your partner while both of you were Australian residents
  • an Australian resident and have been in Australia for a total of 104 weeks
  • an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total - for at least 5 of those years, there must be no break in your residence
  • a refugee or former refugee
  • the family member of a refugee at the time they arrived in Australia, or
  • the holder of a visa subclass 852

To keep getting Widow Allowance

You must continue to be an Australian resident for as long as you get this payment.

Page last updated: 12 May 2018