While travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia, you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Widow Allowance.

There are rules about how long your Widow Allowance can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Widow Allowance outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you can continue being paid for the first 6 weeks overseas.

You may be able to be paid for more than 6 weeks if you are studying outside Australia as part of a full time Australian course.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us you are leaving Australia if you:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks, or
  • have been approved to be paid as a single person when you have a partner and you are leaving Australia to spend time with your partner

Otherwise you do not need to tell us that you are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Widow Allowance rate while outside Australia

Your rate of Widow Allowance generally will not change if you travel outside Australia temporarily for less than 6 weeks.

If you can be paid for more than 6 weeks, your rate will generally change after 6 weeks.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019