Widow B Pension

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Widow B Pension payment.

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your payment.

You need to tell us if:

  • your income changes
  • you move house
  • you re-partner, or
  • you leave Australia

There are other changes you need to tell us about.

How and when to tell us

The easiest way is through our self service options.

You need to:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov

It’s never too late to report a change.

If you don’t tell us

You have 14 days to tell us about the changes. If you don’t do this, we may pay you too much and you’ll probably have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read about how to avoid committing fraud.

This information was printed Saturday 25 May 2019 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/widow-b-pension/managing-your-payment/change-circumstances It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.

Page last updated: 10 May 2019