Wife Pension

An income support payment we used to offer for women whose partner gets Age Pension or Disability Support Pension.

No new Wife Pensions

We stopped granting this payment from 1 July 1995.

Who’s still eligible

If you got Wife Pension before 1 July 1995, you can stay on it for:

  • as long as you’re still eligible, or
  • until you transfer to Age Pension

We use income and assets tests to work out how much Wife Pension you get.

Eligibility & payment rates

Income test for pensions

Your income can reduce your pension.

Read more about income tests for pensions

Assets test

The value of assets you and your partner own affects if you can get Wife Pension and how much you can get.

Read more about the assets test

How much you can get

The amount of Wife Pension you can get depends on your and your partners combined income and assets and if you live together.

Read more about how much you can get

Managing your payment

Change of circumstances

You need to tell us about changes that could reduce or stop your Wife Pension.

Read more about change of circumstances

Advance payment

You may get part of your income support early. This is an advance payment. You pay it back later out of your payments from us.

Read more about advance payment

If you travel outside Australia

You can normally get Wife Pension while outside Australia provided your partner’s payment has not stopped.

Read more about Wife Pension if you travel outside Australia

Weekly payment option

Some people can get income support payments each week instead of each fortnight.

Read more about weekly payments

Income Stream Reviews

Each financial year we review certain types of income streams to ensure we assess your payments correctly.

Read more about Pension Income Stream Reviews

Income reporting

How much you or your partner earn affects your payment. We need to know what you and your partner earn so we pay you the right amount.

Read more about income reporting for your main income support payment

When you reach age pension age

Wife Pension can continue to be paid to people who are over age pension age.

Read more about Wife Pension when you reach age pension age

My bank account is overdrawn

You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.

Read more about what to do if your account is overdrawn


Manage your money

We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read more Managing your money

Regular deductions using Centrepay

You can use our free and voluntary service to pay bills as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments.

Read more about regular deductions using Centrepay

Page last updated: 20 September 2017