Youth Allowance for job seekers

Supporting documents

When claiming Youth Allowance there’s information and documents you’ll need to complete your claim.

What are common documents

These are the documents you’ll usually need to answer questions in the claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process.

As you complete your claim you’ll answer questions that trigger requests for certain documents or information. Below are documents we usually ask for, you may not need all of them.

Documents Details
  • tax file number
  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas account details
  • payslips - 8 weeks
If you’re claiming as a dependant, your parents or guardians will need to supply their income details. This can be provided online using the Advise Parental Income service.
  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship and enrolment details
  • any income you earn, such as from work, a small business or an investment property
  • employer separation certificates, if you recently stopped work
Living arrangements
  • rent certificate – if you pay rent to your parents they’ll need to sign a statutory declaration, signed and declared true before an authorised witness
  • housing, rental property or real estate details
  • student or campus accommodation
  • living away from home - job seekers
  • living away from home - students and Australian Apprentices
  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details
If you’re under the age of 22 and meet the criteria for independence you’ll need to provide proof of this. Read more about dependent or independent for Youth Allowance.

When to provide documents

Any documents which apply to you will be listed as required on your Next steps page. You’ll need to provide these before you can submit your claim.

Other documents may be listed as supplementary. You should try to provide your supplementary documents to us at the same time as your required documents. You have up to 14 days after you submit your claim to give them to us but we might be able to process your claim quicker if you give them to us at the same time.

As well as some of the common documents you might need to complete and submit these documents:

If this happens, we’ll put your claim on hold as we wait for these documents. If you don’t provide them within 14 days of the request, your claim may be rejected.

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. You can also send them by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

If you’ve confirmed your identity with a photo ID at a service centre, you can submit your other identity documents online.

Page last updated: 16 August 2018