Higher rates when living away from home

If you need to live away from your parents' home to look for work, you may get a higher rate of Youth Allowance.

If you need to live away from home to increase your chances of getting work, you may be eligible if:

  • it takes longer than 90 minutes, by public transport, to travel from your parents' home to your approved activity or work
  • your parents' home isn’t a suitable place to live and look for work, for example, due to family conflict or illness
  • you have disability and your parents' home is away from facilities you need

More help

If you pay rent, you may get Rent Assistance.

Page last updated: 4 June 2018

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.