Complete the following steps to claim Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices. Before you start, check if you can get it.
You can claim Youth Allowance up to 13 weeks before you start your course or Australian Apprenticeship or if you want to claim as independent because you’re turning 22. Read more about when to claim.
Watch our video about claiming Youth Allowance.
Steps to claim Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online, you can either:
2. Get your documents ready
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Make a claim, then Start a new claim.
- Under Students, Trainees and Apprentices select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents and any other documents you may need to complete.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- an estimated completion date
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.