Change of circumstances

You must tell us if things change as it may affect your Youth Allowance payment.

Tell us within 14 days

You need to tell us about any changes to your circumstances within 14 days. This includes your parents’ or guardians’ and partners’ circumstances. If your siblings’ circumstances change, get them or your parents to update their details.

Use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or your Centrelink online account through myGov to tell us about changes.

If you don’t tell us, it may affect your payment. You may need to pay back money we’ve paid you. If you deliberately don’t tell us the changes, we could charge you with fraud. Read more about how to avoid committing fraud.

It’s important you tell us about any changes. Here are some examples.


Tell us if you:

  • change your course
  • study at a different institution
  • reduce your study or training workload
  • stop studying
  • stop being a full time Australian Apprentice
  • don’t start your course within 3 weeks of it starting.


Tell us if you:

  • change your work hours, start or stop work
  • change your income or assets
  • get income from outside Australia
  • change jobs
  • get compensation, leave or redundancy payments
  • start or stop getting other financial help to complete your course or apprenticeship.

If you’re reporting income to us for the first time, contact us to set up self service options.


Tell us if:

  • you change your address or contact details
  • you move back to your parents' or guardians’ home
  • you marry or start living with your partner
  • you separate from your partner
  • you’re sick or injured and can’t continue your study
  • your dependent child or immediate family member dies
  • you have a child or take care of a child who is 16 years of age or younger
  • you move into or out of long term care, like a nursing home or hostel
  • you’re in lawful custody
  • you start or stop getting a pension, benefit or allowance
  • your dependent child who is 16 years of age or younger leaves home, or gets a pension, benefit or allowance
  • your dependent child is in custody on remand, in a psychiatric institution or in prison.

If you get Rent Assistance, you also need to tell us if you:

  • stop paying rent, or the amount of rent you pay changes
  • start paying rent to a state, territory or Commonwealth Housing Authority
  • move in with your parent or guardian.


Tell us if your partner:

  • starts or stops working
  • has income or assets change
  • gets ABSTUDY, a pension, benefit or allowance
  • dies.

Parents or guardians

Tell us if your parents or guardians:

  • change their address
  • marry or start living with their partner
  • separate from their partner
  • have changes to their income
  • have a dependent child who leaves their care or comes into their care
  • are, or are no longer, in custody, in a psychiatric institution, nursing home or similar
  • stop getting Family Tax Benefit for your sibling.


If your sibling is 16 to 19 years of age and in full time secondary study, or gets:

They need to tell us if they:

  • become independent
  • move back to or away from your parents’ or guardians’ home
  • get a pension, benefit or allowance
  • stop full time study
  • start work or earn more income
  • change their work hours
  • leave Australia permanently
  • get an education allowance from an Australian Government department.

Page last updated: 19 August 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.