Travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia, you must remain eligible for Youth Allowance.

If you leave Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment stops when you depart.

If your travel is short term, it must be for an approved reason. If not, your payment stops when you depart.

You may get Youth Allowance because of a residence exemption available to some New Zealand citizens. If you do your payment stops while you're overseas. You won't get the exemption again when you return.

You should always tell us if you're leaving Australia. The easiest way to tell us your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Approved reasons for travel

To get Youth Allowance as a student or an Australian Apprentice while overseas, you must:

  • submit your claim before you leave
  • be travelling to continue studying or working.

If you're going to be studying outside Australia, you need to give us a statement from your Australian education institution. It must be on their letterhead and include:

  • your name, date of birth and student ID number
  • the course name and code you're enrolled in at your Australian institution
  • that you'll stay enrolled with your Australian institution
  • your study load at your Australian institution while you're overseas
  • the name of the overseas education institution
  • start and end dates for your overseas study - don't include overseas vacation periods after you complete your study, and
  • that your overseas study counts towards your Australian course.

If you're an Australian Apprentice and will be working or training outside Australia, we need a statement from your employer or State Training Authority. It must be on their letterhead and confirm:

  • you're working or studying outside Australia, and
  • your overseas work or study counts towards your apprenticeship.

If you don't give us a written statement, your payment will stop when you leave Australia.

If you're not eligible for Youth Allowance before you leave Australia, you may be eligible when you return. You may need to submit a new claim when you return.

Other reasons

You may get Youth Allowance for up to 6 weeks:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example, to visit a family member who's critically ill, or
  • to get eligible medical treatment not available in Australia.

If you're attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves, you can get your payment while you're training.

Page last updated: 19 February 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.