Check if you're eligible to get Youth Allowance as a student or an Australian Apprentice.
To get Youth Allowance as a student or an Australian Apprentice you must be one of the following:
- 18 to 24 and studying full time
- 16 to 24 and doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship
- 16 to 17 and independent or needing to live away from home to study
16 to 17, studying full time and have completed year 12 or equivalent.
You may stay on Youth Allowance after you turn 25 until you finish your course or apprenticeship. You must also:
- meet Australian residence rules
- satisfy income and assets tests, and
- be doing an approved course or full time Australian Apprenticeship.
You can use our Payment and Service Finder to help check if you’re eligible.