Residence rules

On the day you claim Youth Allowance you must be an Australian resident, and in Australia.

Newly arrived residents may have to wait 2 or 4 years before getting this payment, with some exemptions.

You must continue to meet the residence rules for as long as you get this payment.

You may be able to get Youth Allowance for up to 6 months, if both of the following apply. You:

  • hold a non-protected Special Category visa (SCV)
  • have lived continuously in Australia for at least 10 years immediately before claiming.

Non-protected SCV holders may only get Youth Allowance for a single period up to 6 months.

If you qualify this way, the newly arrived residents waiting period won’t apply.

Page last updated: 22 August 2019